WOMEN’S RESERVATION BILL
Why is in news?
Rajya Sabha passes Women’s Reservation Bill after 11-hour debate.
About the passage of the bill:
- The ‘Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam’(Women’s Reservation Bill) is the first Bill that has been passed by the Parliament after it shifted to the new building on Tuesday.
- Parliament has passed the Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Eighth Amendment) Bill, 2023.
- After 11-hour debate, Rajya Sabha on Thursday passed the Women’s Reservation Bill.
- A total of 215 MPs (members of Parliament) voted in favour of the Women’s Reservation Bill and no MP voted against it.
- In the Lower House, 454 MPs voted in favour of the legislation and two against it on the motion.
- The Women Reservation Bill seeks to guarantee 33% for women in Lok Sabha and state assemblies.
Changes in the Constitution:
- New clause in 239AA: Seats shall be reserved for women in the Delhi Legislative Assembly.
- New Article – 330A: Reservations for women in LS.
- New Article – 332A: Reserved seats for women in every state legislative assembly.
- New Article – 334A: Reservations shall come into effect after delimitation is undertaken after the relevant figures for the first census have been published.
RASHTRIYA VIGYAN PURASKAR
Why is in news?
Government announces new set of national awards for sciences, 56 awards to be given in 4 categories.
About Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar (national science awards):
- The Centre has come out with a new set of national awards in the field of science, technology and innovation known as “Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar’’ which is to be given annually on August 23 – national space day.
- These national science awards will not have any cash component like Padma awards.
- All the awards will carry a citation (Sanad) and a medal each as one of the highest recognitions in the field of science, technology, and innovation in India.
WORLD RHINO DAY
World Rhino Day is celebrated on September 22.
The five species of the rhinoceros are:
- Javan Rhino
- Sumatran Rhino
- Black Rhino
- Greater One-horned Rhino
- White Rhino
THE STATUE OF ONENESS
Why is in news?
Madhya Pradesh CM Chouhan unveils 108-ft ‘Statue of Oneness’ in Omkareshwar.
About the Statue of Oneness:
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister unveiled the gigantic 108 ft statue of Adi Shankaracharya on the Mandhata Mountain in the Omkareshwar.
- Adi Shankaracharya was the eighth-century Indian philosopher and theologian, who consolidated the doctrine of Advaita Vedanta. He was born in Kerala.
- The multi-metal gigantic statue portrays Adi Shankaracharya as a 12-year-old boy.
- He is said to have arrived at Omkareshwar as a young monk, where he encountered his guru Govind Bhagwadpad.
NEWS IN SHORTS
- The Record Tower, a part of Chepauk Palace facing Wallajah Road that has remained damaged and unoccupied since 2005, is set to be restored and open to the public.
- Govt approves plan to build cultural centre on Kapaleeswarar temple land. The building will be constructed at an investment of ₹28.76 crore.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will try to wake up Chandrayaan-3 mission’s Vikram lander and Pragyan rover, which were put into sleep mode earlier.
- Bharatanatyam exponent Saroja Vaidyanathan dies from cancer at 86.The classical dancer was conferred the Padma Shri in 2002 and the Padma Bhushan in 2013. She was known for her extensive contribution to Bharatanatyam and Carnatic music in the form of 10 full-length ballets and nearly 2,000 choreographies.